Mashed Eggplant with butter

by - Saturday, November 15, 2014

Puke Puke is one of the Popular food in Ilocos region and this is another simple version of Puke Puke.
Mashed Eggplant with butter
This dish was taught by my cousin to me, she is one of my favorite ate(older sister) among all my cousins. She told me that this is similar to Puque Puque of Ilocos but without egg and tomatoes.

She made this because we were out of budget and since we already have eggplant available then make some dish that can feed 7 kids including me to eat.

I don’t know but this recipe is not really one of the dish known in the Philippines (as part of her esperiment) and my cousin made this just to feed us and luckily we liked this a lot. I want here to share with you. In case you’re out of budget then you can make something like this. Who knows you might like this too.

It looks weird and I assure you that yeah it’s weird at first but you’ll like this too (hopefully).


Well, the taste is also weird as you can see in the picture but does that matter? Haha for me it’s delicious as long it can satisfy our hungry stomach. And as you know we are Ilocanos and we’re known as frugal people, maybe it’s part of it too.

Can you eat this kind of dish? If yes then here are the ingredients and the directions on how my older sister made it. Don’t worry it isn’t hard to prepare and the ingredients are not expensive.

Ingredients needed:
  • 6 grilled eggplant
  • 1 whole onion (sliced thinly)
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 pinch ground pepper
  • 4 pinch flavor seasoning (ginisa mix or magic sarap)
  • 1 tsp fish sauce
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil or butter/margarine
  • 1 red chili (optional)
Directions:
(If using cooking oil only)
  1. For eggplant, grill the eggplant until the skin becomes black or toasted, set aside and soak it to cold water. Then peel the toasted skin then mash it.
  2. Prepare a pan over medium heat, put cooking oil
  3. add garlic, onion until they are cooked
  4. add mashed eggplant and saute for 30 seconds
  5. add salt, pepper and fish sauce (you can also add chili)
  6. then mix well
  7. Done!
(If using Butter or margarine)
  1. Now if you decide to use butter or margarine just add 1 tbsp of cooking oil first then add 1 tsp of butter or margarine to avoid the butter to be burned.
That’s it, if you are brave enough to eat this congrats to you and I hope you appreciate this weird dish of my Ate (older sister).

You May Also Like

0 comments