Kutsinta (Cuchinta)

by - Wednesday, January 24, 2018



Kutsinta is a Filipino Native Delicacy that uses lye water. Kutsinta is usually made of Rice Flour, sugar, water and lye water, but this time we used Cassava powder. This is best served with shredded coconut or you can use cheese if you like something different. I, sometimes use chocolate syrup to dip it.




I have lots of Cassava powder stock at home and I have been wanting this to use for a long time in different recipes aside from ice candy as thickener. I used Cassava powder for making a Filipino Ice Candy. It helps make my Ice Candy thicken and gives a very smooth consistency like an Ice Cream. I’ll make a separate post soon because after mid of February, the weather will start to get hot. Summer is just around the corner, anyway.

This recipe is also known as Rice Steamed Caked with a taste bit of sweetness and chewy. I love this native delicacy because it is very simple to make and easy to prepare. We have a special molder for Cuchinta and that’s what we call here in our country - Philippines - puto molder.

The molder is a plastic type of molder that uses only for steaming and this isn’t designed to use for baking in the oven. If you’ve already read or watched my video about Chocolate mini cupcakes, I used these molders to make that.


Here are ingredients needed:
  • 1 cup Cassava powder
  • 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2-3 drops of yellow food coloring
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 tsp. lye water 

[ Thanks to Ms. Angie Sbalunsay for letting me know that there's one missing ingredient here which is our Lye water. Thank you so much ] 


Tools:
  • Steamer
  • puto molder


How to make Cuchinta:

Step 1 & 2: Combine all the ingredients and mix well. Make sure to dissolve all the ingredients.

Step 3 & 4: Before pouring the kutsinta mixture, make sure to stir well then dissolve it while soaking strainer to the mixture.



Step 5: Pour enough water into a steamer and arrange molders.

Step 7 & 8: Again, Stir well before you put mixture into our molders. It depends how much you want to put in your molders, it can be half or 1 tbsp and 1 tsp. I usually do this to make sure that my Kutsinta have the same sizes. Since, only my family will eat this after.

Step 9: Steam for 10-15 minutes as long as you see your Kutsinta becomes a little bit transparent.

Step 10: Allow these Cuchinta to cool and once cool, use a knife to remove it from the molders.



Serve it with fresh shredded coconut. It’s best when you have fresh shredded coconut.



By the way, I made 40 pieces of Kuchinta for this recipe. Since there’s a lot of these. We couldn’t eat this all by ourselves so, we gave some to my mother’s friends.

Thanks for visiting this blog. Happy New Year!


You May Also Like

0 comments