Chicken Adobo with Turmeric Powder

by - Wednesday, July 18, 2018



Adobo is all about marination, it is the traditional way of cooking Adobo. Marinating it overnight or 6 hours is the process before cooking. The more it is marinated the more it’s tasty and flavorful. It is usually marinated with Soy Sauce and Calamansi but definitely vinegar can be used as well.

I grew up seeing my mother marinating my favorite Adobo. I used to request her make me either Chicken or Pork just Adobo with lots of potatoes. Potatoes and the sauce are the winners specially when it is stored in the fridge. 

When you store it in the fridge, the sauce becomes jelly consistency and that is what I really like so much about Adobo. I eat the jelly sauce with lots of rice. Rice is so essential when you eat Adobo. Some people do not like that, but to each his/her own, I like it so much.



Isn’t it so obvious that I just love Adobo.

Last year, out of the blue I accidentally put the turmeric powder while sauteing my garlic, I don’t want to waste that garlic so I continued cooking and do the usual way of cooking it. To my surprise, my guy cousin who happens to be a Teacher as well (my mother is a teacher) liked my Chicken Adobo with Turmeric. 

He said to my mother that it’s so tender, tasty, different and delicious. Maybe, he was just hungry or he didn’t want my mother to be offended but he actually ate everything. Should I ask him about it? His plate tells it all.


Here’s my very simple recipe of Chicken Adobo with Turmeric Powder using these #Piñakamasarap #MarcaPina Soy Sauce and Vinegar. This is my version which is our #TasteofHome Adobo version and I hope you give this a try. It is so simple and ingredients are easy to find. 


These condiments including fish sauce are sold in over 20 countries including the United States of America, Japan, Germany, Australia and England.







Please Note: (measured by measuring spoons, cup and digital weighing scale)


  • tsp = teaspoon
  • tbsp = tablespoon
  • C = cup
  • K = kilogram

Here is our #Piñakamasarap Chicken Adobo with Turmeric Powder.


Ingredients:

For the marination: (6 hours or overnight - if busy 30 min-1 hour would be fine)


  • 1 tbsp. of brown sugar
  • 1/4 C Marca Piña Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 C Marca Piña Vinegar
  • 3-4 bay/laurel leaves
  • 3-4 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper corn
  • 1/2 K Chicken (drum stick and wings)



Cooking the Adobo:


  • 1 tbsp. cooking oil
  • 3-4 Medium Potatoes (peeled and sliced into cube and soak into water)
  • 1/2 C water
  • 1 tbsp. brown sugar

Garnish: (Optional)


  • Fried minced garlic
  • Deep fried Potatoes

Directions:


Combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaves, pepper corn and minced garlic. Make sure to dissolve the sugar.



Then add the Chicken and mix well until chicken is covered with our mixture.
Marinate it at least 6 hours in room temperature.



After 6 hours, set it aside.
Heat the pan and add oil. Saute Garlic and add turmeric powder. Saute until brown.



Then fry Chicken until natural oil from chicken comes out.
Pour in water and boil until water reduce to half



Add the potatoes and simmer for 3 minutes
Put-in the marinated sauce then simmer for 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked or tender.



Put brown sugar and stir well until thickens a little.




If this turns out to be salty for you, you may add water and another tablespoon of sugar. Adjust it if needed.



Do you have your own version of Adobo? Do you prefer it dry or moist?


You May Also Like

0 comments