Red Ruby Cherry Pie from scratch with pictures and video

by - Tuesday, April 02, 2019



Hi, it’s me again and as promise I am back to my blog again. Yesterday, I made red ruby cherry pie using the brand of Duncan Hines Original Red Ruby Cherry not sponsored. This is the only cherry I saw that I can work with my pie. Good thing I don’t need to make cherry pie filling because this filling can be used directly.



I like the taste, not too sweet but according to my family it was mixed of sour, sweet and has this runny jam texture. My mother is not a fan of this jam type of filling, this Red Ruby Cherry looks like jam. See my picture sample below, despite of that I kinda like it and get addicted to it.


DISCLAIMER:

Product mentioned and name of brand are "not sponsored". Or in short, I'm not paid to mention this product and brand name.



It is actually my first time tasting and using this cherry in can.



[ Warning: short review of the Borcam ]


I used 2 cans because my pie pan was so big. I bought ovenware glass which is a gift for myself in advance since my birthday will be 2 months from now. Just in case you’re looking for ovenware glass too, this is my short review of Borcam.

It is Borcam Ovenware set from O Shopping PH. You can see this glass ovenware at O Shopping (Don’t worry this is not sponsored).

I am mentioning it here for those people who want to see how Borcam is. Is it good or not? It’s really good. So far, I am loving my glass ovenware set.

One time, I accidentally dropped my Borcam glass mixing bowl while washing it slightly, I almost got heart attack when me and my mother heard the sound “plaaakkk!!!!” and I thought there was something stone dropped from above.

I never heard anything like glass was broken, it was like solid sound “plaaak!!!”.

Guess what happened, it still in good shape, no sign of scratches or even broken glass. Yey!!! for this quality. I am impressed that’s why I am loving it so far and hoping that it will last.

Good purchased. Thank Goodness! Because I can’t afford to buy again. It took time to ship and I am too excited to wait that long haha.

My pie pan size is 260 mm, this is around 10 inches. Isn’t it so big? It’s not actually a pie plate but a Round Grill Tray with Ribbed Bottom where you can cook pork steak.

I forgot to say, this ovenware can be used either in Microwave or Electric Oven. Can also be used in ceramic stoves and gas stoves with heat diffuser. It’s also beautiful, stylish and of good quality.

You can easily see the side and bottom crust if it is burned, not or browned and aside from that bottom cooks evenly. I also did notice a difference between the metal one to glass and metal heats faster than glass. In glass ovenware it took time to cook. In this recipe, I had to adjust the time of cooking my pie. Maybe it is just me, this is the first time ever I used a glass pie plate.


I am now confused which one is better when using it in electric oven. The only downside I see using glass is fragile as compared to metal although I said earlier that this borcam ovenware is undeniably can handle a tiny bump (I want to say it's shock proof) as of my experience and not sure if it will be the same if it is dropped extremely.



[ The end of review :) ]


Anyway, here are the ingredients needed for making this easy and simple Red Ruby Cherry Pie.

Honestly, I’ve had one mistake while measuring my ingredients. I ran out of Cake Flour so I used the recipe I got online to make Cake Flour. 



Cake Flour ingredients:

  • 1 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/4 cup Cornstarch



Then mix these two ingredients until combined, there you go I’ve made my own cake flour instantly. So, once you run out of Cake Flour or simply you don’t have Cake Flour at home, you can use this recipe.



Video is already up in my channel.


Step by step on making Pie Crust pictures:













Write recipe photo description here

Ingredients:
  • 2 3/4 cup Cake Flour
  • 225 g cold butter (2 tsticks)
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • [ For Filling ] 2 cans (big) Red Ruby CherryIngredient 2
Instructions:

  1. Cut butter into cubes and combine it to Cake Flour
  2. Mix until it becomes coarse crumbs then add sugar, salt and gradually add cold water
  3. Mix until it forms a ball (do not overmix it). Divide the dough into two. Please read my note 1 below this post. 
  4. Wrap it with cling wrap, refrigerate for 1 hour or until it becomes firm. Get the egg white and set aside.
  5. Flour the surface and rolling pin with Cake Flour. Roll out the dough thinly (bottom crust: see note 1).
  6. Transfer it to pie plate
  7. Trim the excess dough
  8. Poke the bottom dough using fork and set aside. Roll out other dough (smaller portion) and make a dough strips. Set this aside, make sure to flour the strips and cover it with plastic or cling wrap.
  9. Pour Red Ruby Cherry Filling into the pie and spread the filling evenly. Design it according to your desire, (see picture on how I design my pie. It’s basic so you can easily do this as well).
  10. Once done, lightly brush dough strips
  11. Sprinkle sugar on top.
  12. Now, bake this to 230 *C for 15 minutes. I bake mine for 20 minutes or until crust becomes brown.



Please Note:

  1. When dividing dough into two, make sure that other half is bigger than the other half of dough. The bigger portion of dough will be used as bottom crust while smaller portion is used on top to cover the filling.
  2. I used glass pie plate so it maybe different if you use nonstick pie pan. Please lesser the time, if my recipe is 20 minutes then you lessen that 20 minutes to 10-15 minutes.
  3. If you’re living in the Philippines. This Red Ruby Cherry can be bought at supermarkets for P184.00.
  4. I didn’t use butter but a margarine, in case you’re wondering what kind of butter I use. It is buttercup margarine. It’s cheaper than butter. If you have butter, shortening or lard, use that instead.
  5. If you use shortening or lard, you don’t need to refrigerate the dough and can be used directly without refrigerating it.


You May Also Like

0 comments