Simplest way to make Soft Donut

by - Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Here is my Simplest way to make Soft Donut
Simplest way to make Soft Donut

Hi Foodies! I am here again. So, what we’re going to make today? Well, I love to share you how to make Soft Donut. It is so easy to make this but, to be honest soft donut isn’t easy to achieve as what you have expected it to be.

Pinoy Street Food Donut. How to make Soft Donut ala Pinoy Street Food.
Simplest way to make Soft Donut

In my video, I’ve shared some of the simple tips to maintain it soft or how you make it soft. Usually, from my experience donuts tend to be tough or hard as rock after few hours of cooking it.


If you have a recipe of donut, try to make one and you’ll see Donut will turn out hard after few days. I honestly don’t know the reason why. Can you tell me why?


We now have a way to make our donut soft. It is very simple. My simple solution is to add Cake Flour to your donut recipe, that’s it nothing else. We don’t need Shortening & Bread Improver, we’ll just use one ingredient to achieve it.

Let's admit Bread improver and shortening aren't easy to find so we're just using what's available. Some used shortening and bread improver to make their bread soft which is not a bad idea and I've heard professional bakers add bread improver and shortening to their donut (and breads) but unfortunately from my experience I had a hard time finding these ingredients at supermarket or shortening is a little bit pricey.

At least shortening is available at some supermarket and since we live in a generation where we can buy anything online. Don't worry online shop is your savior.

If I remember it correctly the price of it is around PhP 200+ in the Philippines.

You might want to check other recipes too:


Donut Munchkins Balls
Ube Pandesal

I am on Instagram: @AnneFoodie if you have time I hope you visit me there.  On my instagram, you’ll see 2 photos of Donuts I made few years ago and spot what’s wrong with those photos. Looks so soft but honestly, they aren’t soft.

If it is still not yet clear, you can always watch the video I made here.


Now that you know what to add in your donut, below are the ingredients and how to make it.


SOFT DONUT INGREDIENTS:

For coating:  1 cup granulated sugar (white)

    • 2 tbsp. white sugar
    • 1 tsp. salt
    • 1 1/3 cup Bread Flour - (you can use All-Purpose Flour)
    • 4 1/2 tsp Cake Flour
    • 1/2 tbsp instant dry yeast (you can use active dry yeast) -
    • 1 small egg (beaten)
    • 6-7 tbsp. warm water -
    • 2 tbsp unsalted butter but in the video I use dari creme (room temperature)
    • 1 tsp oil (optional) -


for deep-frying donut:

Cooking Oil for deep frying donut (no exact measurement, just enough to deep fry donut) - Let’s just say 2-3 cups of cooking oil depending how big is your wok or pan. Add more cooking oil if needed.


Before starting: try to test your yeast first by activating it in warm water with sugar (instant and active dry yeast). If you see bubbles or bloom on top of the water then it means your yeast is still okay and you can proceed making dough.

Making Soft & Light Donut: INSTRUCTION:

Step 1: Combine all the ingredients except beaten egg and butter. Mix well.
Step 2: Then add beaten egg and stir.
Step 3: Knead until well combined.
Step 4: Add butter (dari creme) then knead again until smooth and elastic.
Step 5: Then rest dough for 1 hour and cover it with plastic/cling wrap until double in size.
Step 6: After resting it, dust the working area with all purpose flour and roll 1/2 inch thick of dough.
Step 7: Cut dough using donut cutter and place it in flat plate or tray.
Step 8: Cover donuts with cling wrap or plastic and rest for 15 minutes until doubled in size.
Step 9: Heat the oil before frying, make sure to fry donuts in a low-medium heat. Fry until plae golden on both sides.
Step 10: remove the excess oil first before coating it.
Step 11: Coat donuts with white sugar.

You May Also Like

0 comments