Homemade Filipino Chili Garlic Oil

by - Sunday, January 24, 2021

Homemade Chili Garlic Oil
 Homemade Chili Garlic Oil


This recipe is inspired of the Chinese Chili Oil without garlic also known as Sichuan Chili Oil. Most Filipinos are into fried garlic, we put it to almost everything in our food. If you haven’t tried putting fried garlic on your fried rice yet, you are missing something here (just kidding) but seriously it tastes good with it.


Minced fresh chili
Minced fresh chili


This is so simple to make and don’t have any complicated method. Main ingredients are fresh Chili (bird’s eye) and chili powder. The chili powder I used here is Korean/Chinese pepper powder (called Pepper flakes/powder) which is not that spicy but I like it, just right for my spicy tolerance and the reddish color is so vibrant which makes our chili garlic oil appetizing. (see the picture)




What does this taste like?



No worries, actually it isn’t extremely spicy. If you lessen our pepper powder then you’re good to go. You can adjust it according to your taste.


Homemade Chili Garlic Oil ingredients
Homemade Chili Garlic Oil ingredients
Red pepper powder



Preparation before cooking it



I manually grate my ginger then mince garlic using my electric grinder, set them aside and we will use them later as these are the first ingredients that we’re going to cook. After that, mince fresh chili and again set aside. The ginger and garlic add flavor and aroma to our chili garlic oil so I suggest to add ginger but if you don’t like ginger, you can just disregard it.



Making Chili powder mixture



Combine all the spices, in my video I forgot to specify what were the ingredients I used in Chili powder mixture so I hope you came from that video and proceed here in this blog right away. Anyway, The spices are: Chili powder, Fivespice (Ngo Hiong) Powder (see this picture from my Instagram), salt (this is not powder but I added this to my mixture) and annatto powder.


Chili/Pepper Powder mixture
Chili/Red Pepper powder mixture with salt


I am using Annatto powder to add more color but definitely an optional, it’s up to you if you like to add but don’t ever substitute it with red or orange food coloring powder. Annatto has its own unique flavor but red food coloring doesn’t. Food coloring has a bitter taste so please don’t substitute Annatto to it.



Let’s start the cooking after preparation for our main ingredients


Homemade chili garlic oil (cooking)
Cooking chili garlic oil


In your pan, heat the oil over low-medium heat and add sesame seeds. I like to add more of sesame seeds because it gives another flavor to our oil but unfortunately I ran out of sesame seeds so you’ll see in my video that it’s only 1 tablespoon of sesame. 


Don’t over cook it, just cook it for few seconds until you smell the aroma.


Next to cook is ginger, again I cook it until I smell the aroma with sesame seeds. I don’t over toasted it because there will be another garlic and fresh chili to cook.


homemade chili garlic oil recipe
homemade chili garlic oil in a jar


Speaking of Garlic, put it in the oil over low-medium heat and continuously stir until soften then pour minced chili and cook until garlic is slightly brown or toasted.


Lastly, add our Chili Powder mixture and continuously stir while cooking in low heat. Adjust the heat if you need to speed up the cooking time but watch it carefully. We don’t want to make a burned garlic, ginger and chili.


Filipino Chili Garlic Oil in a jar
Filipino Chili Garlic Oil in a jar



Ingredients:


  • 3 cups vegetable oil
  • 3 tbsp. sesame seeds
  • 1 tbsp. ginger (grated)
  • 1 1/2 cup garlic (minced)
  • 2 cups fresh chili (minced)
  • 1/2 tbsp. salt
  • 1 cup pepper/chili powder
  • 1 tsp. 5 Spice powder (optional)
  •  1 tsp. Annatto powder (optional)



How to make Chili Garlic Oil:


  1. Mince garlic and fresh chili. Set Aside.
  2. Combine pepper/chili powder, annatto powder, 5 spice powder and salt. Mix them well and set aside.
  3. Heat oil to medium heat. Once oil is hot enough lower the heat and pour in sesame seeds. Cook until becomes aromatic.
  4. Put the ginger in oil and cook for few seconds.
  5. Add garlic and cook continuously until soften.
  6. Pour in minced fresh chili and stir while cooking it.
  7. Lastly, pour pepper powder mixture and stir until no lumps.
  8. Cook until garlic is toasted and browned.
  9. Turn off the heat and cool it down.
  10. Place it in a jar.
Red pepper powder
Red Pepper Powder



Did you make this recipe?


Let me know, I am not busy at my instagram. I can answer there if you have questions @AnneFoodie.


You May Also Like

0 comments