Korean Mozzarella Cheesy Corn Dog without yeast & cornmeal

by - Tuesday, September 03, 2019



I've already made corn dog that has yeast ingredient before but this time a different recipe, it is a no cornmeal and yeast corn dog recipe. I am obviously loving korean corn dog because of Mozzarella. I am addicted to it. Koreans introduced it to me thru their BJ (means: broadcasting jockey) meokbang videos.

After watching them, whenever I go to supermarket, mozzarella is one of the must that I have to buy even if it is not yet necessary. In fact, I collected mozzarella and save it for other recipes just in case I need them in the future. haha ^_^ Though it's quite pricey but I just love it, I just have to buy for myself.

Believe it or not, mozzarella is always out of stock these days. A year ago Mozzarella was not that in-demand and always available whenever I finding it in grocery. I guess I am not the only one whose into mozzarella cheese anymore after being influenced by South Koreans.

Tip: If you're going to buy Mozzarella, make sure to buy it in whole block of cheese instead of grated form. It's better than that. Grated Cheese tends to melt easily and it will end up solid.

For my sauce, I used Mustard and Ketchup. To be honest I am not a fan of Mustard, it's so strong and I cannot stand the taste but surprisingly mustard and ketchup compliments with corn dog & sprinkled sugar.


Suggestion: Corn dog without cornmeal (with yeast)


Inspired of Korean Street Corn Dog without cornmeal and yeast ingredients:

  • 6 hotdog (sausage can be a substitute)
  • Mozzarella (before using it make sure to put it in the freezer for 1 hour)

(Batter)

  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup ice-cold water
  • 3/4 cup All Purpose flour
  • 2 tbsps. glutinous rice flour
  • 2 tbsps. white sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 pinch salt
  • 1 1/2 cup water (for cooking hotdog)
  • extra: 2 tbsp. All-Purpose flour (for coating or dusting)
  • Skewer (bamboo stick - to be specific I used barbeque stick size)
  • 2 cups bread crumbs (for coating)
  • 300 ml cooking oil (depends on how big your wok is or pan for frying Corn Dogs)

Sauce:

  • 2 tbsps. white sugar
  • Mustard
  • Ketchup


[ Instruction: ] How to make Inspired Korean Street Corn Dog without cornmeal and yeast


STEP 1:Making batter

Beat egg then mix all the batter ingredients (egg, ice-cold water, All-Purpose Flour, baking soda, sugar, glutinous rice flour and salt) and make sure to mix well. After mixing, place it in a tall glass or plastic and refrigerate it for 1 or 2 hours.


STEP 2: Cook hotdog

Cook hotdogs for 7 minutes. Remove water then cool down. (Make sure to dry hotdogs) Set aside.
Let's assemble our Corn Dog:

  • (1) slice 3/4 of hotdog or depends on you if you want mozzarella is bigger than hotdog, see my picture above.
  • (2) Divide mozzarella equally, as thick as hotdog.
  • (3) Skewer hotdog and cheese into bamboo stick, one more thing, this depends on how you assemble it, mine as you can see, I skewed the hotdog first before mozzarella which is the first bite after it is cooked.
  • (4) coat it with All-Purpose flour and tap lessen excess flour. It's hard to coat it with batter when it doesn't have flour coating.
  • (5) Set aside.

STEP 3: Assembling hotdog & mozzarella  (skewer)



  • Once everything is chilled, prepare bread crumbs and spread it on a flat plate or tray on the side. Then get your assembled Corn Dog and batter.


STEP 4: Dunk and coat with Bread Crumbs


  • Dip hotdog with Mozzarella and refrigerated batter. Make sure to coat it well and covered with batter all around.
  • Then quickly coat it with bread crumbs. Make sure to coat it well with bread crumbs.
  • Set Aside.



STEP 5: Cook Corn Dog



  • Heat oil over medium then lower it once right temperature is reached.
  • Fry Corn Dogs over low heat.
  • Carefully cook Corn Dog because this is easy to cook and tend to burn easily. It will just take you less than 30 seconds so carefully watch it and turn to other side to cook evenly. Since I am using a pan, it only cook half of my corn dog (see my video).
  • Place it in rack to drip down excess oil.

STEP 6: Ready to serve and eat.

  • We're almost done, sprinkle sugar on top then drizzle Mustard and Ketchup. You can sprinkle sugar again.
  • Serve hot or slightly hot for a slightly melted mozzarella cheese so, it's chewy and stretchy.

You May Also Like

0 comments